Opera for the Young
Opera for the Young, Inc. (OFY) is a leading provider of arts-in-education services in the Midwest, as well as a pre-eminent producer of opera for children in the United States. Each year OFY brings opera to more than 70,000 children. Winner of the 2003 Marvin Rabin Youth Arts Award, OFY focuses on arts education (educating children about the value and beauty of the arts) and also arts-in-education (using the arts as a springboard to teach other core curriculum subjects).
Opera for the Young brings live, professional opera to elementary school audiences with annual Fall and Spring tours. Students appear onstage in chorus and cameo roles, performing for their peers right alongside OFY's professional artists. All productions are fully staged, sung in English and adapted especially for kids. OFY also holds an annual set and costume design contest wherein students submit drawings for pre-selected elements of the upcoming production's sets and costumes.
Opera for the Young keeps school performances affordable through its own fundraising efforts. We are able to offer our programming at one-third of the actual cost through the generous support of individuals, corporations, foundations and government funding.
- Hansel & Gretel - October 22, 2011 - May 15, 2012
- The Pirates of Penzance - October 7, 2010 - May 1, 2011
- Rusalka: A Mermaid's Tale - January 15 - November 6, 2010
- The Magic Flute ~ Opera for the Young - October 19, 2008
- The Magic Flute - April 12, 2008
- Orpheus Returns: Opera for the Young - October 20, 2007
- Orpheus Returns - October 15 - November 9, 2007
- Orpheus Returns - January 12 - April 27, 2007
- The Barber of Seville - January 13-May 19, 2006
- Hansel & Gretel - December 10, 2005
- A Night at the Opera - October 9, 2003
- Rusalka, A Mermaid's Tale - February 1-8, 2003
- The Elixir of Love - April 13, 2002
- The Magic Flute - March 10, 2001
- Orpheus Returns - Winter/Spring 2000
- The Barber of Seville - late January through March, plus October 11 - November 19, 1999
- Hansel and Gretel - October 10-11, 1998