Founded in 1987, First Stage is one of the nation’s leading theaters for young people and families, and a driving force behind the creation of the best and most innovative plays for family audiences, theater training programs for young people and education initiatives for its schools and community. First Stage ensures that all programming is not only accessible to its community but that it is reflective of the community it serves.
First Stage produces plays that honor the young person’s point of view, include diverse and traditionally underrepresented voices and inspire meaningful conversations. First Stage has presented more than 70 world premiere productions that address important subject matters relevant to today’s youth. The Theater Academy is one of the nation’s largest high-impact theater training programs for young people (3 – 18 years old). Through a challenging curriculum taught by professional teaching artists, the Academy nurtures life skills through stage skills and includes the Next Steps Program that tailors Theater Academy classes to the needs of young people on the autism spectrum and with other developmental disabilities. As Wisconsin’s leader in arts-integrated education in schools, First Stage’s dynamic Theater in Education Programs cleverly blend theater activities with standard curriculum – allowing more than 10,000 students annually to learn traditional academic subjects through creativity and self-expression.
About Young Company
First Stage Young Company, the Theater Academy’s award-winning training program for advanced high school actors, is open to students who want to take their work to the next level. Accepted students will complete college and graduate-level training in Acting, Voice, Movement and Shakespeare as well as electives ranging from Auditioning to Stage Combat to Dialects. Traditionally, the Young Company hosts master classes with guest artists from across the nation, produces a season of three plays and facilitates special excursions to the Utah Shakespeare Festival and American Players Theatre.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Musical - November 25 - December 24, 2022
- A Midsummer Night's Dream - December 9-18, 2022
- The Watsons Go to Birmingham – 1963 - January 21 - February 13, 2022
- The Tale of La Llorona as told by Consuelo Chavez - October 23 - December 5, 2021
- Adventures With The Three Little Pigs - April 30 - May 30, 2021
- Judy Moody & Stink: The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt - May 1 - June 3, 2018
- Antarctica, WI - April 6-22, 2018
- The Wiz - February 23 - March 25, 2018
- Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat - January 21 - February 25, 2018
- The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - January 12 - February 11, 2018
- A Charlie Brown Christmas - November 24 - December 31, 2017
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - October 6 - November 5, 2017
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin - October 1-29, 2017