Madison Opera is a non-profit performing arts organization and an important regional company in the U.S., producing three operas annually, a free operatic event in the summer, and a host of educational and community programs. Madison Opera has attained new artistic heights while reaching its largest audience ever as a resident organization of the Overture Center for the Arts. The mission of Madison Opera is to engage, inspire, and enrich Greater Madison and the State of Wisconsin through the performance of world-class, professional opera.
Founded in 1961 by Arline and Roland Johnson, the company has grown from a community-based group to a professional company, with artistic highlights including the world premiere of Shining Brow in 1994, the first Opera in the Park concert in 2002, and a diverse repertoire that has spanned all corners of the operatic repertoire. The company’s productions range from classic works to more unusual and contemporary ones. Every summer, the company produces Opera in the Park, a free concert which attracts over 14,000 people to Garner Park for a spectacular evening under the stars.
Madison Opera is proud of its roots in the community, and is committed to promoting the talent of local professional singers, musicians, and technicians in addition to presenting incredible talent from around the nation and the globe. We are proud to offer world-class opera right here in Madison.
- Dead Man Walking - April 25-27, 2014
- The Flying Dutchman - April 9-11, 2010
- The Turn of the Screw - January 28-31, 2010
- Carmen - November 6-8, 2009
- Faust - May 15-17, 2009
- Cosi Fan Tutte - March 13-15, 2009
- Madama Butterfly - November 21-23, 2008
- Opera in the Park 2008 - July 26, 2008
- Lucia di Lammermoor - May 9-11, 2008
- Romeo et Juliette - November 21-23, 2003
- Bon Appetit/The Music Shop - July 14-15, 2000
- Carmen - May 12-14, 2000
- Brundibar - January 27-29, 2000
- The Marriage of Figaro - November 19-21, 1999
- The Fantasticks - July 17-19, 1998
- Tosca - April 24-26, 1998
- Rigoletto - April 4, 6, 1997